Friday 10 December 2010

A Very Good Year

It always seemed like a monumentus step - starting a blog. Its been a challenge to come up with a way to get started because I feel like it should be something more than just a first entry. The reason I decided to start doing this is that I do seem to find myself doing lots of interesting things that would be worth writing down at least, or even may be of interest to other people living in the whole music thing.

This year I feel like I have found the trajectory upon which I should focus my energy. There is a very natural kind of effort that occurs when everything is in harmony between an artist and their producer and I want to cultivate that and see what it brings.

I have met some amazing people over the last 12 months and together we have created some seriously good stuff. The thing I think I love the most, is seeing something so tangible and accessible as music grow from the interaction between two minds.

Anyway, to end the year and start off my new blog, here's a few highlights from my 2010 in vaguely chronological order:

Philanthropy's long awaited new album 'Burst' - released at midnight Jan 1st. The culmination of everything that band has been over the years and a very special project for everyone envolved.

Recording Aimèe Mackenzie both live and in the studio. I love her voice and her approach to song writing. For a bit I forgot how much I love her voice, then I saw her at Farnham Festival and was suddenly reminded. That cover of 'With or Without You' was something else.

Working with isle of wright star Holly Kirby on her debut album 'A Woman You Don't Know' This girl is something special and an absolute delight to work with and record. Its been amazing to watch all her fans react to its release and see the buzz grow around its release and its great to see her doing so well.

Meeting and working with the 'human bouncy ball' that is Kate Fletcher. Such great music to work on and always a hilarious time in the studio. That Macdonalds event will be remembered for a long time ;) You know who you are!

Save You by Jenni Boyce... Nuff said.

All the Rosa Boxall sessions be it writing, recording, production or mixing. There's some amazing music coming out of this project and I can't wait to watch her explode when the time is right.

Assisting in Editing/Mixing 12 tracks for Craig David. I came across a performance of 'Hypnotic' in series 1 of 'Live From Abbey Road' which made me realise just how talented that guy actually is but working on his material was amazing. There are some massive tunes in his repertoire and even now tracks like 'Rewind' retain that same screaming vitality that made them the hits they were. Freaking ridiculous band too.

Meeting Birdie and hearing her ridiculous talent. 'Guardian Angel' still blows my mind.

The Rock Choir Tour in June/July. There's possibly only two other people in the world who will really know what the whole ride was like! So many amazing shows, such an odd existence day to day. The whole thing was topped off with the Hammersmith Apollo album launch, that balloon moment from which still makes me smile.

Days and days in the studio with Dan Rumsey and crew creating epic shiz. Cant wait to see the album finished.

Rich Lown's 'Time For Us All' EP. There is something about the working with him and his band that just makes everything feel good. Amazing songs, so many talented people and the general motivation of just creating something great.

Bestival 2010 - spent mostly with my friend Liberty 'the plebs!?' Martin and one of my favourite artists - Emmy The Great making a video for water aid. All thanks to Holly Kirby for allowing me the honour of joining her on stage playing guitar for her set on the Sunday. Finally getting to see Katie Holmes rock it with Pro Green while drinking wine backstage at the big top. Way too many awesome memories to write here. Robin Moss and Dan Schreiber ensured there was never a dull moment!

Meeting The Hunterzzz at such a special time in their career and helping them to create a really cool debut EP. Thanks again to Angus for the whole student ID thing ;)

River Studios! There is nothing I can say to describe the insane experience it has been and continues to be. Anyone who has joined us for any part of the struggle will understand. Still partly under construction but becoming more and more amazing everyday. It really is something special and is going to be a very, very cool place to work. Loving seeing everyone come to the building for the first time and be blown away.

So thats it so far! Now that I have got started I will probably continue with some less words posts. Anytime something interesting is happening. Thanks for reading :) Let see what happens....

Olli.

2 comments:

  1. It has been a good year hasn't it? Listened to Burst recently - it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete